IASC is pleased announce the selection of new Working Group secretaries, who will begin their term as of Arctic Science Summit Week 2019 at the end of May. The role of the Working Group Secretaries is to support the IASC Working Groups by organizing meetings, keeping minutes, and other related tasks.
Following a competitive selection process, the new Secretaries are:
- Sara Morris, Atmosphere Working Group
- Karen Cameron, Cryosphere Working Group
- Laura Ghigliotti, Marine Working Group
- Rebecca Hewitt, Terrestrial Working Group
IASC is also pleased to announce the hiring of a new Executive Officer, Hjalti Ómar Ágústsson. With a Masters in Polar Law and a certification in project management, Hjalti Ómar joins the IASC office in Akureyri following work at the Icelandic Centre for Gender Equality and Aflið, as well as experience as Special Editor of the Polar Law Yearbook and more. We are excited to have him on the team!
We are of course sad to lose outgoing Executive Officer Gunnar Már Gunnarsson but excited to see him move on to a research-focused role with the Stefansson Arctic Institute. Happily, Gunnar will be continuing in his role as Social & Human Working Group Secretary.
IASC would like to offer its sincere thanks to the outgoing Secretaries whose dedication has benefitted the Working Groups:
- Rui Wang, Atmosphere Working Group
- Pablo Sanchez Gamez, Cryosphere Working Group
- Jeanette Axelsson, Marine Working Group
- Galina Antonovskaya, Terrestrial Working Group
Updated information on the status of the IASC (Dispersed) Secretariat is always available at https://iasc.info/iasc/organization/secretariat.