Arctic Science Funders Forum
The Arctic Science Funders Forum is a multilateral, discussion platform, originating from the Arctic Science Ministerial, for funders to initiate and investigate new and enhanced collaborative scientific activities in the Arctic.
Through the initiatives of the second Arctic Science Ministerial, the Arctic Science Funders Forum was officially established on 30 March 2020. We support the establishment of this Forum and encourage funding agencies involved in the Arctic Science Ministerial to collaborate on further bilateral and multilateral research efforts set forth by this Ministerial.
- Joint Statement of Ministers on the Occasion of the third Arctic Science Ministerial
The Forum will:
- Work as a soft coordination body by facilitating information sharing for information about national and international calls for Arctic research projects without creating additional administrative burden for the funding organisations.
- Develop bilateral and multilateral research funding programmes and calls, in accordance with the values and objectives outlined in the Joint Statement of Ministers from the Arctic Science Ministerial.
- Provide a venue for Forum participants to come together to consider “big ideas” (e.g., MOSAiC), be forward-leaning, and overcome obstacles to achieving the goals of the ASM.
- Serve as a means to communicate priorities, activities, and opportunities, thereby catalysing synergies and extra leverage on national funding. It also may help adapt and optimize funding calls (timing, priorities, requisites, etc.) from the parties prioritising international perspective.
The Forum itself is not a funding organisation and will not organise research calls or fund research projects, but its members are pivotal in funding or supporting Arctic science. Synergies with other international initiatives of funding or supporting agencies may also be explored.
For further details, see the Working Procedures of the Forum.
The Forum is voluntary and open to:
- Representatives of the Arctic science funding programmes of the governments and the six Arctic Indigenous Peoples Organisations that participate in ASM meetings.
- Up to two representatives of the leadership/secretariat of the International Arctic Science Committee (IASC), in an advisory and/or consultative role, while providing logistical support to the Forum.
The Annual Meetings of the Arctic Science Funders Forum take place at the Arctic Science Summit Weeks (ASSWs). Meetings are by invitation only.
27 March 2022 from 14:00 - 18:00 GMT+1 at the ASSW 2022 in Tromsø, Norway / online.
- Points of Contact
- Current Chair
- Report of the Third Arctic Science Ministerial
- International Collaboration and Cooperation Opportunities (ASM3 output)
- Opportunities for Indigenous Peoples and Community Involvement in Arctic Research (ASM3 output)
- National Arctic Policies (ASM3 output)