The Association of Polar Early Career Scientists (APECS) in cooperation with the International Arctic Science Committee (IASC) is pleased to announce the availability of travel support for the Arctic Science Summit Week (ASSW) 2019 (22-30 May 2019, Arkhangelsk, Russia).
Travel support via this process is currently available for:
- Early career researchers up to 5 years past PhD with an Arctic research focus (an allowance will be made for career breaks such as parental leave)
- Arctic researchers of all career stages at Russian institutions and/or focusing on the Russian Arctic
- Indigenous Arctic experts of all backgrounds and career stages (defined as researchers and Indigenous knowledge holders who are of Arctic Indigenous heritage, in particular those represented by the Arctic Council Permanent Participants)
Further application criteria:
- Active participation in the conference including but not limited to giving an oral or poster presentation (abstract submission deadline also on 28 February!!)
- Affiliation with an institution / organization in an IASC member country (Austria, Canada, China, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, India, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States)
In addition to the general funds provided by IASC for these travel awards, they will also provide some special limited travel support for early career researchers (definition see above)) who are interested in attending the 4th T-MOSAiC Workshop during ASSW 2019. T-MOSAiC (Terrestrial Multidisciplinary distributed Observatories for the Study of Arctic Connections) is an IASC pan-Arctic land-based program that would extend the activities of the IASC flagship program MOSAiC (The Multidisciplinary drifting Observatory for the Study of Climate Change). The objective of T-MOSAiC is to coordinate complementary activities that will both aid and benefit from MOSAiC by extending the work to the lands surrounding the Arctic Ocean and to the northern communities who live on those lands.
As another category, funds are also available for early career scientists who are contributing to the IASC-sponsored session on "Long-Term Changes in Arctic Social-Ecological Systems." These papers will contribute to the understanding of long-termhuman responses to Arctic environmental change and long-term transformative impacts of human activities on Arctic ecosystems, including: (1) improving understandings of long-term human responses to specific climate change ‘events’; (2) providing insights into long-term human impacts on Arctic and sub-Arctic biological diversity; (3) enhancing understanding human strategic responses and decision-making ‘pathways’ in Arctic SES’s over generational time scales; and (4) engagement of the Indigenous knowledge in understanding social-ecological dynamics at different time scales. Inquires about this sessions should be sent to Andrey N Petrov and Stanislav Ksenofontov.
APECS will be administering the travel funds provided by IASC and will coordinate the application and distribution process of the funds. We encourage other partner organizations to get in touch with the APECS Secretariat at info [AT] apecs [DOT] is if you want to take advantage of having your early career travel funds for the conference distributed via this APECS-led application process.
These travel awards may only be able to cover part of your travel costs and the costs will be reimbursed after the meeting based on receipts that you provide (unfortunately, upfront payment is not possible).
Please submit your application via this online form. Your application will be evaluated solely on the information you provide via the form. We will not accept other material via email (unless you were asked to provide additional material by the APECS Secretariat). All questions are available on the first page. There is no second page with hidden questions. Note that several of the questions are designed so we know which funding source(s) you qualify for, so please answer all the questions as complete as possible. Should other funding become available with additional requirements, we will announce this and give applicants who have already submitted the opportunity to update their application form. Should you have problems accessing the online form, please contact info [AT] apecs [DOT] is to receive a word version of it.
Application deadline for the Travel Awards will be on 28 February 2019 at 23:59 GMT. Late applications will not be considered. No exceptions will be made.
If you have any questions please contact the APECS International Directorate Office at info [AT] apecs [DOT] is