Svalbard Integrated Arctic Earth Observing System (SIOS) is a consortium of international institutions with research infrastructure in and around Svalbard. SIOS is building an integrated observing system for long-term measurements addressing Earth System questions.
SIOS publishes an annual State of Environmental Science in Svalbard (SESS) report. The first issue was released in January 2019. The report summarises the state of current knowledge of key Earth System Science parameters and analyses how these parameters influence one another. The SESS report outlines the work that has been done in the previous year within the SIOS cooperation to optimise the observing system and recommends research priorities for the following year(s).
The sixth issue of the SESS report will consist of updates of five previous chapters. The deadline for chapter submissions will be 28 September 2023 and the report will be finalised in the beginning of December. The SESS report 2023 will be released at the beginning of the Polar Night Week in Longyearbyen, 22 January 2024.
The editorial board consists of five persons, two of which are senior researchers from SIOS member institutions and two are from the SIOS Knowledge Centre. We would like to appoint an early career scientist as the fifth member of the editorial board.
The tasks of the editorial board are:
- review received contributions
- organise a scientific review process
- merge all contribution to a coherent report (synthesis work, write the executive summary)
- prepare the SESS report release
- prepare promotion material
The editorial board works in close cooperation with scientific and communication advisors within the SIOS community.
- have an education background within Earth System Science
- have an interest in editorial activities
- be an active team player
- be fluent in oral and written English
We offer an excellent opportunity
- to gain insight in the editorial work of scientific reports
- to influence the development of the SESS report
- to build a network with researchers from diverse fields of Arctic research within Earth System Science
The applicant is expected to attend approx. 7 board meetings (on video), and the Polar Night Week in Longyearbyen (22-26 January 2024). Travel costs will be refunded.
Please note that the travel and accommodation costs to attend the Polar Night Week 2024 is the only financial support available for the ECR. This is a non-salaried position.
The time period of appointment to the editorial board is limited to the completion of the sixth issue of the SESS report (January 2024).
The application and selection process is coordinated by APECS. If you are interested, please send the following documents by no later than 15 July 2023 to info[at]apecs.is:
- Statement of interest (max one page), including
- your research background
- your motivation in joining the editorial board for the SESS report
- your thoughts on how you could contribute to the editorial work and how this work would be beneficial for your career
If you have questions about the position, please contact SIOS directly at information[at]sios-svalbard.org.